Thursday, August 13, 2009

Standing in the way of the cross

I had an opportunity this past Tuesday night to have a Bible study with 2 really cool ladies that live on my street. We are working through an awesome book and I'm learning a lot.

One of them shared a story with me that was so powerful of an image and I know how much we all love images (LINDSEY) so I wanted to pass it on. I am not sure where she originally got this from so I can't credit the author.

It seems a lady was on the beach watching her young son and his father play in the surf. The waves were crashing in and she watched him play and his whole face light up with happiness.

But then the waves took a turn and they seemed to be getting stronger. She saw him get knocked down a couple times and her heart clenched. Should she run to him? Should she step in and scoop him up out of harm's way? She readied herself to run down to her child.

Then she realized he was still laughing and playing and that his father was right by his side, making sure he was safe. He would reach up to his father from time to time and let him lift him above the chaos. She realized that had she stepped in and taken over the situation her child would have missed an experience he was enjoying. He didn't want her at that moment. He wanted his father.

It then struck her how often she does that in situations in her life. Step in and take control because she thinks she knows best. Her way is the right way. She is in control.

And it also struck her...how many times has my doing that blocked someone from the cross? Kept them from their Father when that was what they really wanted and needed.

She made it a point to then start praying that God show her times she was blocking the cross from someone in her life. That maybe her role was to walk beside them but not to step in front of them and keep them from what they truly wanted and needed.

Father, please help me to understand that I can't always step in and "save" my children from the things of this world. They are yours, Father. You control their destiny and no matter how much I desire to protect them, sometimes all they really need and want is you and the cross. Help me not to stand in the way. Help me to daily turn them over to you.

No comments: