Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Growing Pains

12 1/2 is a difficult age. I was just telling a friend that I love Patrick always but there are definitely days I don't like him very much and I'm sure he feels the same way about me.

I learned a while back that I can't control things no matter how much I think I can. Sometimes God has a different idea in mind than I do.

If you aren't at the 12 year mark let me warn you IT IS COMING. :o)

It is like he woke up and his brain leaked out of his ears and he can't remember his homework or assignments or supplies. He blows off tests and thinks he can just slide by. He says we are too strict and he might be right in some areas...we are evaluating that.

We asked him what he wanted to be if he could be anything in the world and you know what his answer was? "Normal."

I had to break it to him that he will never be normal. He's smart. He's attractive. He's funny. He isn't average. He is above average and I don't get why he would want to settle for just being average.

If I saw him doing his very best then I would know he got it. But the way he approaches school and his attitude about the future confuses me.

He has the opportunity to take some honors classes soon and he doesn't want to do it. "Only geeks take those classes." Hey, kid? Your MOM was one of those geeks!

He has indicated he wants to go ahead with his baptism soon and we are very happy about that.

I just want him to live up to his potential.

I KNOW I can't force him to do it...there is that control issue again...but I know he always seems to choose to do things the hard way and it is going to cause him to have a hard road ahead.

I know a large portion of it is his exposure to his biological dad but there is little I can do to combat that other than talk him through it.

Just pray I have wisdom in raising this little person who is exactly like me.

4 comments:

Sherry Gann said...

eek--good luck.

...just curious--what kinds of things does he think you're too strict about? I guess if he's like most preteens, that list could probably make for a pretty hefty post in and of itself? :)

Sherry Gann said...

...just found this post in my reader and thought you might appreciate. Check it out:

http://lifewithbirk.blogspot.com/2009/05/and-you-think-your-teen-is-bad.html

Mich said...

Hey! I saw your blog listed on my sister's blog list (Raising Rascals) and was curious about your title, so I thought I would check out your blog...

I totally am there with you. I have a 12 year old girl. My husband is a student minister, so I had an idea of what was ahead, yet nothing can prepare you for the change from little kid to teenager... It seems to happen overnight and everything about them changes.

Hang in there. You are not alone in this battle. I just try to remember that God has his hand on my child and has great plans for her, even if we have to go through a lot of growing pains.

Your children are beautiful!

3boysmom said...

I am sorry that Patrick is having a rough time. That is such a hard age. I remember treating my parents horribly at that age and my mom still talks about it! I am so dreading the pre-teen/teen years! My nine year old has already started in with the attitude and I can only imagine how bad it will be in a few more years. I'll be praying for all of you. Hopefully this will just be a phase and will quickly pass.