Friday, January 29, 2010

Frustrated

Why is it people always want things to continue and talk about how awesome they are but nobody wants to step up and help? It always seems to fall on the backs of a few.

We are struggling with our Celebrate Recovery ministry for lack of support. We have new people coming in regularly but we haven't established a core group that keeps coming back other than a handful of dedicated people.

We can't seem to get our church family to support us other than lip service. Not all of course, we have some very faithful supporters, but the majority don't seem to want to be involved.

I go to a church with 1500 people so why can't I find someone to offer to volunteer to bring the meal next week? Why does it seem to fall onto the shoulders of 3 of us each week?

We have several pastors on staff yet none visit even once a month to check out what we are doing. I don't expect them there every single week...but once a month? How about once a quarter just stop in and get to know our participants or show that you are behind this ministry?

We have no budget. We rely on volunteers and their generosity. Yet, we seem to have money for other ministries that are more mainstream. I'm sure there are things behind the scenes that I'm unaware of but this is the overall perception.

We can't get people to volunteer to watch the children of the leaders/participants during the 2 1/2 hours we meet. It has been suggested maybe we need to start charging people so we can have paid childcare workers.

So...you want me to go to someone who is desperately trying to turn their life around and doing all they can to make it to the next day and ask them if they don't mind ponying up $10 for childcare? Really?

I know I'm negative right now but I'm so frustrated. We have a leadership meeting next week and I really want to see what the plan is going forward because at this rate, without support, this ministry will go away and I think that would be incredibly sad.

1 comment:

3boysmom said...

I can see why you feel so frustrated. I am shocked that the pastors can't be bothered to come by and show their support to this ministry. That really is sad and hopefully someone will bring it to their attention. I'm glad that there are people like you who are willing to step up to support this ministry. From what you've shared, it sounds like it's been a great support system for many. I think you are doing a wonderful thing!! Hang in there.