Friday, February 13, 2009

How can I race against horses?

Are you familiar with this conversation between God and Jeremiah? I love this.

Jeremiah 12
Jeremiah's Complaint
1 You are always righteous, LORD, when I bring a case before you. Yet I would speak with you about your justice: Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease? 2 You have planted them, and they have taken root; they grow and bear fruit. You are always on their lips but far from their hearts.


Jeremiah is ready to have it out with God about his justice. He's READY. And God reminds him that bigger things are coming. Harder things are around the bend. If you are tired from the simple things...how can you tackle the big ones coming?

Jeremiah 12:5 (The Message)

5-6 "So, Jeremiah, if you're worn out in this footrace with men, what makes you think you can race against horses? And if you can't keep your wits during times of calm, what's going to happen when troubles break loose like the Jordan in flood?

Jeremiah 12:5 (New Living Translation)

The Lord’s Reply to Jeremiah

5 “If racing against mere men makes you tired, how will you race against horses? If you stumble and fall on open ground, what will you do in the thickets near the Jordan?


Father, Help me to remember that it is not my part to question your justice. I may see things I don't understand. I may want answers but I'm here struggling with the race among people...I'm not ready for the horses yet.

1 comment:

momstheword said...

Babies have struggle to crawl before they can learn to walk. Crawling strengthens them. I guess we all need to do a bit of crawling in our walk with the Lord, in order to learn to walk!