Friday, January 23, 2009

Back from the Hospital

Things went well. We had a little scare when they thought they might have to cancel the surgery today. The anestheiologist didn't like how his lungs sounded. But, they gave him a breathing treatment and had us wait a bit. She came back and listened again and said his lungs still sounded junky but that the surgery was so fast that she thought he would be fine. She reassured me they would have the measures there if he needed to be put on a breathing tube or anything like that.

They let me walk him down just outside of the OR then I had to hand him over. That is the worst feeling in the world.

I went back to his room and had time to listen to one song on my iPod before the doctor came in. I thought he was there to talk to us before he went in to do the surgery but he had already finished! I was shocked at how quickly he came back to us.

They brought him back to me about 20 minutes later and he was not a happy camper. He cried non stop all through check out and half way home in the van. But then he drifted off to sleep and has been asleep since then.

Poor little guy...I bet he is going to be starving when he wakes up.

I called Patrick and Josh's school and left a message for each of them that Colin did fine. Josh called me last night from my parent's house crying his eyes out that he wanted me to come get him and take him home. He NEVER does this when he stays with my parents.

I had to tell him that he had to stay there and I would pick him up this afternoon. He finally settled down when my Dad told him he would play poker with him. They bet with pennies. Go Grumps with the suggestion that calmed Josh down.

I don't think John or me slept much last night at all. We are about to take a nap while Colin is sleeping.

6 comments:

Sherry Gann said...

So glad things went well! Thanks for posting to let us know. :)

3boysmom said...

I'm glad all went well today. I've been there and it is so hard handing your child over your child for surgery. Hope you get some much needed rest this weekend!

Amber said...

So glad that it all went well today. He'll feel so much better now!

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light said...

Happy to hear that it is all over and to know that he did well. We'll be there on Tuesday for Greer's next treatment, and I know that our day will be much the same. She wakes up from anesthesia so cranky, but is great by the afternoon....

Isn't CS just the greatest, though?

Have a good weekend!!!

momstheword said...

I have missed your blog for a few days so didn't know what's been going on. I am glad that his surgery went well. It is so hard to just hand them over and walk away, I agree.

I will be praying for you and your financial situation. My husband was out of work for a year once and I wasn't working at all. God provided in a mighty way. We lived on severance, then our savings and unemployment, and then when that started running out our church and our friends helped us out.

The Lord provided money for Christmas by having a homeschooling family that had heard of our need give us some money. They were total strangers but gave us $300.

I had a couple of doctors who provided me with free samples of my allergy and asthma medicine so I never went without.

We did purchase cobra insurance during that time. The best thing that helped us save money during that time was having a pricebook. If you don't know what that is just look on my sidebar. It's either under "frugal" or "pricebook." I forget.

If you just want someone to listen my email is momstheword2008
@hotmail.com

I do remember how scary it can be but God will take care of you, my friend.

Unknown said...

so glad everything went well!