Monday, January 5, 2009

Back.

Back from a very long and tiring morning at the doctor. First off, I am so thankful for the group we go to. It is a thirty minute drive from our house and when people ask me why in the world I drive so far when there are perfectly good doctors around here I tell them it is because I have complete trust in this group. They have been with me through some rocky scares with my boys and every single time they reassure me, they walk me through the medical jargon and they listen to me.

Colin's regular doctor was out of the office today so we saw another one. Love her. She took about 15 minutes with Colin just listening to his chest and looking in his ears and talking to him. No in and out with these guys.

She handed him back to me and said that his lungs sound okay but he has 2 of the worst looking ears she has seen. In fact, she said if they had any medical students or interns in the office today she would have asked our permission to let them examine Colin as well to see this kind of infection.

She said we could try a third antibiotic or we could get aggressive and do a shot today, one tomorrow, one Wednesday then recheck things. I asked her, as I always do, "What would you do if this were your baby?" and without hesitation she told me she would do the round of 3 shots. She said Colin is in pain and this will help get him better faster.

So that's what we are doing. Got the first shot today then had to stick around for half an hour to make sure he had no kind of reaction. I'll work from home tomorrow and take him back for the 2nd one and then we'll just see how things go on Wednesday as to whether John will take a day off or if I'll work from home again.

Thank you so much for the comments and emails and prayers. I appreciate each and every single one.

Last night was rough...he cried and cried and cried and then I cried and cried because I just didn't know what to do for him and felt like I was failing him somehow by not making it better.

Lots of prayer lifted up and snuggling with him on the couch helped us both calm down. But, then he would cough and gag and gasp in his sleep so I got no sleep at all until 3:30 this morning. I finally gave in and woke John up and asked him if he could take over so I could at least get 3-4 hours.

Exhausted today but glad that we hopefully are going to turn a corner.

Thanks again!

3 comments:

Amber said...

I know you feel after seeing someone today.

LOVE THE SHOTS! I have started asking for shots instead of oral antibiotics. They do make them better so much faster and you don't have to keep up with giving meds at home. I'm sure he'll heal up fast with those....

Still praying for ya.

Rest up!

Unknown said...

Still Praying!

Jess said...

Oh, poor sweetie! Hope he gets better soon. We'll be praying for you guys!