Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thankful Thursday...and the church

I am so very thankful for our church. The relationships we have made. The way I feel God's presence during the service. Our wonderful pastor. Our worship leader and praise team. The people...the body of Christ...his bride.

I have been in churches my whole life and there have been many times I would leave and not feel like I had been at church at all. No fire. No conviction. I would sit during the sermon and think about what I was going to make for lunch and the load of laundry I needed to do and the oil needed changed in the car...etc. You know that feeling?

The church we now have called home for the last 2 years is so different than others I have been in. I've never left and not felt that I had been in the presence of God.

I got to thinking about this though and the church isn't there to serve my needs. It isn't there to do something for me.

That is just a bonus.

The church is there for me to go and worship and glorify God. Whether I like the music...or the sermon...or I feel anything.

I'm there for God...not myself.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Totally get what you are saying....we made the move from a church a couple of years ago to an amazing church. I really had no idea what I was missing until we came to this church. You are so right about the church not being there to serve our needs, but it is amazing to me how much more authentic my worship is when I'm in such a genuine body.

Glad that you have found a church that is so God-centered.