Monday, December 1, 2008

What consumes you eventually conforms you.

This was a central theme in our guest pastor's sermon yesterday. Really think about it. What consumes you eventually conforms you.

His sermon was titled, "Worship Matters" and we walked through what idols are in our lives that replace God. Everyone is a worshipper...the question becomes...what is it that you are worshipping?

Money? Success? Relationships? Your kids? Sports? Want to guess how many uncomfortable people there were when he made the comment, "How many Sundays have you missed worshipping your God because your child had a ballgame?" Couple of very loud AMENS. :o)

Psalms 115: 1-8

Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness.

Why do the nations say, "Where is their God?"

Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.

But their idols are silver and gold, made by the hands of men.

They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but they cannot see;
they have ears, but cannot hear, noses, but they cannot smell;
they have hands, but cannot feel, feet, but they cannot walk;

nor can they utter a sound with their throats.

Those who make them will be like them, and so will all who trust in them.

Their idols are silver and gold...pretty to look at...but useless. They have mouths, eyes, ears, noses, hands and feet but can do nothing. Our God is in heaven and DOES WHATEVER HE PLEASES.

Isn't that an awesome thought?

I think people are born with wanting a purpose, a goal, a plan, a place to fit, longing, desire to belong to something bigger than themselves, etc. This is why I think there are so many addictions out there. People looking for something to make them feel whole. Alcohol. Drugs. Sex. Exercise. Shopping. Eating. Money. Success. Being a super parent. Being a super spouse. Being a super anything. Something to make us feel complete. There is nothing wrong with having ambition or goals but does it consume my life?

To find out what you worship follow the trail of how you spend your time, your money, your thoughts...If I'm consumed by something I'm going to shape my life around it. I'm going to want to do whatever I can to be filled with it. It will be an overwhelming desire for me to draw near to it, to learn all I can about it, to have it all around me.

That's my prayer. To be consumed with Christ.It may sound crazy to you but oh the desire of my heart to be consumed. To have as much passion for my God as I see others have for a sports team or a relationship or a job or a hobby...

I'm so not there and I doubt I'll ever really be but I pray I step closer every day...that I learn from my failures...that I trust in God's perfect plan even when I can't see how it works...that I live a life of example and not just words.

No comments: